Email to Eco Meet-up for 1st April, 2019 at Crispins
Our Next Meeting:
Monday 1st April, 2019 at 09.30 a.m.
at Crispins, East Street, Chichester PO19 1HX
This Week in The Conservatory at Crispins
Crispins, 46 East Street
Chichester PO19 1HX
Phone number 01243 533544
Send to your Phone
1) The “action” part of our name has been dropped – we are now EcoChi
(artistic heart interpretation welcome)
Our old website eco.chiaction.co.uk No longer exists.
We are now www.ecochi.org.uk Please click on it often and share widely.
With Mega thanks to Mark Record for all his work on our evolving web presence.
…. Still Acting Locally Thinking Globally
2) Our first Monthly – Wednesday Market Stall is this Wednesday 3rd April.
Thank you Transition Chichester and all the lovely people making this happen.
8 – 10: (Inc Setting up) Sarah Sharp (with Cargo Trike’), Richard Oliver; Paula Chatfield; and Sue Gilson and (briefly) Lucy Noble.
10 -12 Paula Chatfield, Rachel Austin and Liz McCullum
12 – 2 Paula Chatfield
2 – 4 Paula Chatfield, Lucy Noble, Debbie Carter
4 – 6. (?) Valerie Briginshaw
More Support Welcome. Paula – there all day will definitly need a break.
Sarah will confirm the location for the Stall from Sam (East Street or Possibly North Street).
Compost Bin sourced (Rosie Mountfield at approx 10:15 a.m.)
Swap Shop coat rail [and a blackboard?] (Sue Gilson)
Paula wearing her metaphorical Tree Hat.
Our banner (thank you Midge), a table with chairs for people to sit down and chat, encourage to write letters to our County Councillors ahead of the Climate Emergency Motion at County Hall this Friday 5th.
Lots to see, creating a buzz and Public Engagement.
3) Many of us are preparing for active support for the Proposal for WSCC to Declare a Climate Emergency this coming Friday 5th April. Behind the scene action is mobilising including from our College and University.
Last time, on 15th February there was no time for the Motion and the Chair wouldn’t even acknowledge the Public passion on and around the Steps to County Hall.
Cllr Michael Jones will be joining us at 09:45 at the Market Cross – express your passion to him, which he can then pass on to the Full West Sussex Council when he Proposes The Motion. Portsmouth have done it, as have over 40 other Councils.
4) Interest is growing in Westgate as the most important western access to Chichester for pedestrians and cyclists. It emerged that Plans have been given the nod that they meet Council Policy – the promised Public Consultation has been sidestepped – Plans being negotiated by the Whitehouse Farm Developers are said to be a downgrade from what is there now.
Obviously , Westgate has to have outstandingly good pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, if it is going to help mitigate the additional journeys from 1,600 new houses on the Whitehouse Farm Development! Add in the vital link that Westgate provides to ChEmRoute (Chichester to Emsworth Cycle route) and Centurion Way ….. A massive Public Campaign is getting underway. Mark Record is developing the website, Paula Chatfield is pulling together a [very long!] list of the National and Local Government funded initiatives that are supposed to be radically improving our cycling infrastructure ….. WSCC are currently employing Consultants to produce a ChEmRoute Feasibility Study ……… We are SHOUTING that Westgate has to be made safe and user-friendly for Cyclists – it Certainly is Not Now !!!!
Westgate is THE Vital link for the success ChEmRoute and Centurion Way …. The vital links between Chichester, SDNP, Chichester Harbour and beyond.
5) Colin Hunwick has kindly offered to come along – provisionally on 22nd April – and tell us about the environmental awareness work with Students at Chichester College.
6) Few minor updates to the Calendar far below (when you open the full Google Doc), including detail added to the Swap Shop on 13th April. Lavant Cycle Event on 27th April. SEE HERE: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XeybkOYVMgeXL1wsdQYtXw7VvvNSYim76DVEg2I8em4/edit?usp=sharing
Sorry to all those people who’ve sent me updates that I’ve not got around to including this week.